June 15, 2010

The good, the bad, and the just plain confusing...

Hello Friends,

So yeah, it's week two. This blog post is the good logos v the bad logos, and those that we look at, tilt our heads to the side and go, "wha-huh?" like a dog trying to do an algebra equation...

Shall we say what follows is a scale of some logos I like ranging down to those that just don't do it for me. Let's press on then, eh?


Triple 8 skateboarding gear-- helmets, pads, etc.

Takes three simple 8s and by positioning them in such a way creates a neato logo.







Obama 2008 - Presidential campaign logo.

I love this logo-- simple, but full of meaning. The colors obviously full of patriotic symbolism, the "sunrise" negative space and blue horizon creates (thru Gestalt practices) an "O" which links to the candidate's name. Additionally, the "sunrise" gives to the message utilized by Obama of hope--looking to the horizon, the future.










Le Tour de France - cycling race.

From best I can tell, this logo for Le Tour replaced the old logo around 2002-2003. I'm torn-- I don't know if I like it or not. It's clever, but I don't know if I completely like it. I remember the first time I saw it, I absolutely hated it. Two years of watching the Tour, it's growing on me...






The Firm - Minneapolis gym.

I like it, but it doesn't tell you who it's for. Why am I moving my ass? To where?

Is it for kid's toys?
Transportation?
"Do. Groove." campaign?
Nope-- it's for a gym... but it was fun...









landandtree.net - website logo.

This...is where things start going downhill...

UH....sure, I guess it looks like a tree...it's green... but uh...*tilts head* wha-huh?!












(England) Office of Government Commerce Logo- rotated 90 degree angle.


When rotated, the logo goes from somewhat suggestive to leaning towards inappropriate. It doesn't exactly exude an important and capable department.










The Computer Doctors

I don't know who thought this was a good idea. They should never be allowed to design a logo again. Ever.

Per our reading for this week -- maybe the designers shouldn't have just looked at their computer screens up close, but printed out the logo, stepped back, and looked at it again.








So yeah-- from good to wha-huh? to no-way-Jose! It's now up for debate-- what do you think?? :)

Signing off,
Amanda Nerud

0 comments:

Post a Comment